Friday, 28 July 2017

The Pull of The Land



It runs in our veins I think
Some people aren’t even aware of the weather
Or whatever is happening outside.
For me there is a definite feeling when I first awake
I can sense the coverlet of snow on the ground
Before I even go to the window.
It feels like a blanket kindly bestowed upon nature
And I feel akin to Mother Earth wrapped in my own downy, soft wool.

In summer it is even stronger ~
This pull of the land
That takes me out to the pastures to sit perched on a rough, rail fence.
I watch the young colts prance
In the forest I listen for the soft cracking of tiny branches
As the mother deer leads her fawn through the woods.
The breeze moves through the limbs and leaves
I am drawn into the soft amber of the sun’s rays
That gently reach to touch the soil
I sift dark, loamy earth through my fingers
Just to feel its strength ~ then
Sink to my knees in gratitude for this gift
This utter blessing to be able to feel

The pull of the land.

cailin raine

1 comment:

  1. As a wee girl growing up in Beaver Valley, I had the run of the whole farm... the fields and the trees, the wind and the rain always called to me. I loved the country air, space, privacy, the vastness of the sky. Up over the rail fence there was a frog pond where families sang in full-throated melody, and I listened enraptured. Always there was another discovery, another adventure, and Mother Nature bestowed gift upon gift. I will be grateful 'til my dying breath for those years of enchantment when I learned to feel the sweet pull of the land.

    ReplyDelete