Friday, 12 August 2016

On An Old Beech Tree



Two names on an old beech tree,
Who are we kiddin’, it’s you and me
We were walking the North Huron tract
So in love and that’s a fact
I led because it was my familiar way
You found it such a special day
I’d left a spot for you to make your mark
Since then we’ve hiked in daylight and dark
Two names on an old beech tree,
Oh honey, it’s always gonna be, you and me.

That old tree is scarred and worn
Many names on its bark, marked and torn
I’d walked that way so often, sad and alone
Sometimes cheerful, but sometimes forlorn
Praying for another compassionate heart
And I knew right from the start
That first time that I saw you smile
I knew there would never be another lonely mile
Two names on an old beech tree,
Ah, Honey, it really is just you and me.


cailin raine

1 comment:

  1. I met Brock in 2010 and we were a couple in 2011. One of our first hikes was on the Huron Tract near Brussels where the Love Tree stands towering above the Maitland River. It has many initials and hearts and names carved into its beautiful beech bark. Eventually we got out initials carved on it too, and so it stands proudly displaying the sentiments of many hikers... its smooth, shiny greyness a testament to many loves.

    ReplyDelete