You were angel hair on
Christmas lights
Bright smiles and a
hearty laugh!
You were “By Golly” and
gifts from the heart.
You were life-packed
letters from afar
And voice tapes from
Europe filled with fun.
“Shirley” meant
excitement and magic
And a special air about
the farm…
When you were coming home
It meant “special” and
extra little touches
“Shirley” meant exquisite
taste and impeccable décor.
My biggest regret is that
you lived so far away
Too far for a daily chat
or a routine drop-in
That is why my Sister
candle gift to you
Sat in my closet waiting
for the next visit
Why do we take so much
for granted?
In lighting this Sister
candle for you
It represents all the
gifts I wish I could have given
All the time I wish we’d
had
All the miles that kept
us apart
And all the love we
shared in spite of everything.
Now that Sister candle
sits in my living room
Beside my favourite
picture of you, and behind
The dried, white rose
that I kept from your service.
It still doesn’t seem
right that you aren’t here with us.
I can still hear your
magical voice, or catch a whiff
Of fragrance in the air,
and glimpse a gossamer spirit
Dancing ‘round the
Christmas lights with angel hair.
with love from your sister,
cailin raine
No comments:
Post a Comment