Leaves lurching
in the wind like drunken sailors
And don’t tell me
that is a trite term
Because that is
exactly what they make me think of
Sailors on the
docks in port at old-city Quebec
I was eighteen
and free and there was a French boy
Who loved me and
thought I had rejected him
When in fact I
was only too shy to tell him
That I thought he
was the most scrumptious thing
I had ever seen,
black hair and black eyes and a carriage
That brought
eighteen year old passion to a quick peak.
We walked through
the vintage streets hand in hand
Past shops and
bars and inviting, romantic little haunts
I was wrapped in
the feel of his skin and the smell of his hair.
But back to the
leaves… the wind is patchy, coming in spurts
So that the
leaves do this peculiar dance, akin to Indian powwow
Like Mother Earth
herself, boogieing, a war dance!
A rolling in love
which takes me back to the French boy
Why am I all
caught up with this ancient memory of lust
While I watch the
pitching of the leaves from my quiet window?
I wanted him to
stagger and reel and sway towards me, relentless like
The frolicking
loll of these vagabond leaves straying over my lawn
I wanted him to
wander all over my life and keep moving in a dance
Reaching me in a
heaving moment of declared desire and love
I wanted him to
know how he had touched my young heart and soul.
Now I watch the
leaves play a rock and roll while my mind weaves
This memory of
the boy I could have rocked and rolled to eternity.
cailin raine
There was this boy, this sailor on the docks of Old Quebec city, and I was eighteen, and he was scrumptious, and the water lapped alongside the docks. He did take my hand, and we walked streets and streets; all night long we stayed out and ignored our curfew. The memory of his handsome face and dashing eyes, sturdy shoulders and gentle hands remains.... even as I slowly become "senior". And what is that? No one really gets old, eh? Our body kind of gets old around us, but inside we are still the same... the eighteen year old starstruck girl with long hair and saucy smile, yearning for the boy who stole her heart. That time long ago, on the streets of Old Quebec city...
ReplyDelete