Wednesday, 11 May 2016

Stages of Love and Getting It Right



I remember that first time, when we were way too young
And your eyes were way too brown and your hair wavy and black
I fell head over heels as I walked up to the plate and picked up that old bat
And I started swingin’ then, and I guess I never stopped, ever since
Been battin’ and swingin’ ever since.

There were love letters and stolen glances, playin’ in the barn and plannin’
On a kiss that never quite happened, ‘cause back then they kept an eye out, eh?
But in my dreams you kissed me and my eleven year old heart thumped.

Then I was battin’ a better average when he came along, blue-eyed and tall
And a special twinkle in his eye that stole my heart right off and I knew
It was not the most appropriate fit, but I was swingin’ anyway, and we found
Seventeen year old love in the back seat of an old, Chevy car.

A little older and wiser, and somethin’ about his shoulders and bedroom eyes
Just took my breath away, and even though I knew in my heart it was too hard
I walked down that church isle a child and I gave birth to my son as a woman
And then later a little girl just made the whole damn thing worthwhile.

I was still swingin’ and runnin’ bases when I met the sweet, shy guy who
Brought me south from the valley and that was quite a feat in itself
Sheep farmin’ and hikin’ the back fifty with Bowsie at my side, she adored me
And I just loved the freedom again of the country and the air and the space.

Seems I’ve made a lifetime out of fallin’ for the wrong fellows as I slide from
Base to base and the odd time I was lucky enough to get a home run!
I was slidin’ into third when his slim, blond, charismatic image hog-tied me
One more time I gave my heart to an impossible situation and I sang my heart
Out just for him, and rocked with the band just like I knew what I was doin’.

Then the east called to me from a different direction, and I met the one with his
Finger in the dike, and it took me a long time to figure out that he was never
Ever gonna take it out!  But he had my heart and he had my soul and I let him
Hurt me just like all the rest.  Then I got a little house alone and I laid down my bat.

Been doin’ some thinkin’ and I figure now that what I was missin’ was Process…
If I can just pick up the bat at the right time, and swing it at the right ball
Then maybe I can hit it right up over that big, darn fence they built and I can
Even watch it land in the long grass over there as I slide my real best slide
Gettin’ dusty and dirty in the process, but it’s a damn good slide this time
Right into home plate, and it will feel so good that I will decide to stay.

I’m gonna keep dreamin’ ‘bout that last home plate.

(Be who you are, and keep on truckin’ …somewhere along the white line there’ll be that truck stop just for you!)
cailin raine, 2006







No comments:

Post a Comment