There was black ice early that evening and I had just turned the corner,
Headed up the highway to pick you up from skating
lessons.I had read about black ice, and I knew the temperature was right around zero
But nothing had prepared me for this invisible, dark surprise!
Suddenly I was on a skating rink of my own, with snow banks for walls
Without skates, but with four, round, rubber tires instead.
The steering wheel was useless, it made no difference at all
I was a speck spinning out of control, cast like dice on sinister ice.
Swirling snow, mind-blurred…in the centre was a sane space
Where peace sat like a bubble; I reached it and sat myself there.
It was like sitting in the middle of God’s hand; I waited
While the car spun about me in mad oblivion.
Up ahead approached a huge semi, and I did not miss the
connotation with
Your estranged father, was bemused by it, even in those
crazy moments.
It would surely kill me, crush my tiny, brown Chevette
Like candy wrapper thrown nonchalantly to the ground.
Peace hung over me like a canopy; I felt almost happy!
But there was a much stronger pull; I could see your
little face
The only thing I could really see, was your little
face, waiting, waiting
For Mommy to appear and pick you up from skating, why
was I late?
What if Mommy could not show up that day, or ever again?
My heart was lying broken in my chest at the thought
And fierce supplication brought me strength; an angel
sat beside me
And another sat on top of the car. I would survive and arrive
To pick you up and not leave that little girl alone.
The car lurched then, charged like a bull, evenly
hitting the snowbank
Head on, straight, clean, perfect angle…what magic made
the car ride up
Over the bank directly into the field below, an oasis
of snow?
I was driving in the field now, and I looked up to my
right…
To see not one, not two, but three semis roar by.
They had not even slowed, to do so on the black ice
Might have been total catastrophe.
A young girl watched from her farmhouse window
And she jumped into her car to come to my rescue.
I was climbing up the steep embankment, slogging
through
The deep, white drifts… aching for you and for our wee
car, “Beans”.
But I was fine, and I was coming to get you! My plan was to hitch into town,
Acquire a tow truck and get to that skating rink come
hell or high water,
To reach you and ease your fear, to put a smile back on
your sweet face.
Angels had whispered to the wonderful girl sitting by
her window;
She drove me into town and the tow truck had soon
rescued Beans,
Still intact, unscathed, and I was on my way again,
cautiously wary
Of the wicked ice and the mere seconds it could take to
lose control.
I pulled into the parking lot of the arena, hurried in
to find your
Anxious, bright eyes glued to my face, and with relief
I took your hand.
You were the reason I prayed; You were the reason I
stayed.
You were the reason that Jesus took the wheel that day.
With love forever to Little Flower, Mom
No comments:
Post a Comment