Saturday, 16 July 2016

John R. Cash ~ Man In Black

This is one of my favourite pieces of all time, written by John R. Cash.  I read Johnny's poetry in his book, "Man In Black" back around 1987.   In that book I found profound wisdom from a man who had suffered more than most.  At the time his depth surprised me, for I had only thought of him as a country singer.  Now at a later age and stage of life, I understand the wisdom that comes from peeling back layers of life, and taking a good look at oneself.  My beliefs have deepened from the rather black and white Christian faith with rules set out for you, to an open-minded, soul deep trust in our Source, Gaia, the loving energy that created all.... and a powerful and convicted belief in reincarnation.  As I read this book, I became more and more convinced that Johnny had lived before as the Apostle Paul.  I still believe this, all these years later.  There was way too much that he could never have seen or understood, if he had not walked in Paul's footsteps.

I make no apologies in referring to his wonderful Indian heritage, born from the Cherokee tribe.  I see and hear the word "Indian" with all the respect and admiration that it entails.  I see utterly no reason to have ever changed this beautiful word and I do not adhere to the modern trend which avoids it.  It makes no sense.
In reading this book, I remembered the ethereal depths of the Indian soul, and I relished in John's every word.  I carry this piece of poetry memorized in my heart.


I've been to Damascus and I didn't go by air
I walked along the paved Roman way
I stood at the very spot where a brilliant light once shone
And I saw a fleeting flicker there that day.


But it needn't be Damascus, and it needn't be on a road
And it needn't be a lofty mountain height
It could be in a closet and it could be at the door
That, if opened glows the glorious, blinding Light.


"How well I have learned that there is no fence to sit on between heaven and hell.  There is a deep, wide gulf, a chasm, and in that chasm is no place for any man."

John R. Cash
   from the book, "Man In Black" 
published 1975 by Zondervan

No comments:

Post a Comment