The Butterfly
You smothered me with your mother love
From the beginning ~ if there was a beginning
I was encased and kept in your cocoon
A butterfly not allowed to be free.
The bitterness grew into hatred
Which bred guilt and I tried all the harder to please
Although I could not move ~ inside the cocoon.
Then I chose to love myself
And the cocoon had to be ripped and thrown away.
You would have preferred the cocoon stay intact
To breed the guilt
But I chose life and freedom ~ after all
Butterflies should be free.
Now ~ the butterfly soars with glee
And marvels at the use of her wings!
Which were always there, just never spread
For all the world to see the beauty that shimmered there.
She looks down with pity at the one who tried to keep her
Captive
And knows she has been set free to love.
cailin raine
written 1990
ReplyDelete