Out here on the rocks,
indented with fossils, are scratched initials and memories
Echoes of voices past, linger
and toss, then sit in the stone shadows
Reminding me of brown,
sturdy, sandy feet, straw hats, and strong bones
They stay my heart with
their summer song, playing its magic in the long afternoon.
Out here on the
rocks, the outermost shouts of innocence
reverberate
Running and tiny toes
clamp themselves beside me in ghostly print
An elder’s guiding hand
clasps the little one, dear, beside the slower soul
In my mind’s eye, I see
the clear gaze of the child, trained on the horizon
Watching the sun blaze
its way into regretful descent, leaving behind one more day.
Out here on the rocks,
the smashing water wings the air with puffs of soft wind
Treading time with the
higher tendrils of breeze floating against my arms
Higher still, the upper
air currents carry the gulls along happy trails
They scream their joy,
call out their life, their sturdy wings sky-scraping the evening.
Out here on the rocks I
watch the golden pathway paved upon pewter liquid
Shimmering in bronze
towards the sun-god of the sky, now cast in blue shadow
Against the robin’s egg
hue just above the horizon, its centre burning bullion.
Out here on the rocks,
strands of peaceful thought drift like sand in the air
Caressing my temples with
cotton-gloved fingers, stroking my mind in languid rhythm.
Out here on the rocks, I
have come to sit alone, to drink in one more September night
Before air chills
cold, rocks sleep under ice, and frost
creeps over the last memories.
cailin raine
Sitting way out on the rocks at Lower Cove on the Goderich Beach always affords one a quiet, private spot to just sit and listen to the waves lapping on the rocks. Or a place to scribble ideas and poetry that emerges so easily there, close to the elements and nature's glory. This poetry was the result of one of these excursions... and this spot at Goderich Beach will always hold a part of my soul.
ReplyDelete
ReplyDelete“Summer Song” was written, literally, out on the rocks at the south shore of the Goderich beach, where you can walk along the flat-topped boulders, to the outer edge of the coast line. Sitting out there and gazing at the water, in all its different ways of being, it always an inspiring, calming, healing kind of experience for me.
I had moved from St. Helen’s, and was well along my path of healing from my last relationship, again, a disappointment, but again, a shove from Life into further growth, insight, and awareness.
The endless strength apparent in the movement of the water, the smashing force of the waves, speaks to an inner place in me, speaks of fortitude, endurance, perseverance, and never-ending life. It gives me hope, and it gives me courage.
The myriad types of weather at the beach has provided an array of thoughts, feelings, words, then to be captured on paper, for me to share with the world. Maybe others might feel what I have. It is a reaching out to kindred spirits, a longing for understanding, an offering of who I am, and someone may respond with like-minded purpose.
I take these words, this gift, with reverence, and I know that it is in my life’s purpose to share what I have written. These memories in “Summer Song” are snippets from my life, the tiny toes, the happy shouts, the wet footprints from the past, are, each one, little gems filed away on precious shelves. When I take them out sometimes, and dust them off, the joy again is full and my yearning for life, for nature with all her elements, again pulls me forward into new streams of thought. I can leave old, outgrown ways of being behind, and forge ahead once more, on a new trail, with new squeaky boots, ready for a brand new picture, just around the next bend.