The apple wood
was different
I’ve coaxed a
fire in late fall
Slender sticks
cut from Dad’s dead apple tree
Surprising,
sweet scent accosts the nostrils
Worms its way
inside your nose
Fills you with
sugary warmth
Akin to maple
syrup on warm pancakes
Aroma wafting
towards your face
A subtle
caressing of skin and sharpened senses
And blossoms in
your mind.
The wood stove
crackles and snaps
Like the
branches on the summer, apple tree
Warmth
penetrates and permeates
Inching its way
into corners and cracks and closets
I fetch the plaid,
throw blanket from the cold, spare room
And find the apple
coziness there too.
Apple wood
burns and gives a sweetness which
Hangs snugly in
cinnamon air
The room is
bathed in applesauce gold
I am curled in
slumber on the grey, fur rug, toes content
Soft warmed
hands like dough
Hair coiled
like leaves about baby apples
I am caught in
apple wood magic flames.
Sleep comes
easily in front of the hearth
I dream of
other gifts
Like the magic
of sea grass turned silver
And waves that
lap beneath the moon rising high
On a summer
night when beach sand holds the warmth of the sun
My brown, bare
toes quivering, kissed by the night dew
As I dance
beside the shimmering, blazing waves.
Outside the
frost burns white
On orange,
shrunken pumpkins.
cailin raine
No comments:
Post a Comment