There is a
fuzzy old picture
Blurred dim in
old black and white
Taken of a
house held dear in memory
Soft in the
luminous snow light.
It holds a
precious spot in the valley
Where the hills
gently meet the river bed
Where we walked
with old shoes on the bottom
And with
grubby, brown hands we were led.
In summer the
rapids were singing
In winter the
ice held us still
The house sits
in shadows and memories
In my heart it
remains, always will.
It speaks of a
time which was simpler
Its ways were
of water pump and shed
I danced in the
moonlight in nighties
And then snuck
upstairs to my bed.
In the morning
the floor boards forgave me
Their squeak
was of wooden and worn
My secret was
kept in the rafters
And the spirit
of writer was born.
I think of the
chipmunks and squirrels
That scurried
in long grass at night
As I watched
for the dawn at my window
And waited for
sweet morning light.
It was then
that the sunlight brought gladness
As I hurried to
bacon and eggs
And stood in
the earth of the garden
On brown,
sturdy, growing, young legs.
The house
nestled there in the valley
Still calls to
me some long, lonely nights
And I walk on
the green of the rolling lawns
And again all
of life just seems right.
cailin raine
No comments:
Post a Comment