Saturday, 9 April 2016

The Herb Cellar



Above me, the herb-scented ceiling reeks of sage, scent
And I suck it in, breathe the heavenly earthen aroma
Rafter-dry hanging bundles dangle with dust
Wood begetting arid plants of healing and sustenance
I breathe…
On the slanted cool of wooden chair supported, snug I sit
Comfort arms stroke my back as I lean on its straightness
Heady from the wood and the fragrance and the earth-scent
I revel in its firmness and I inhale the silence
I breathe…
Pots and pots, pile upon pile, they line up the walls
Pottery soldiers standing tall, strutting in procession
Stacked according to size, they frame and fill the wall-boards
With smooth crockery, sienna warmth
Hinting of a pregnant promise for growth and
Better things to come!
Wicker bushel basket bursting with the dryness of bundled
Fennel, savory, thyme, rosemary, lavender, parsley, mint
My tongue and senses are sharpened, my mind sentient
I ache with my love for it, and I breathe…
Wooden slats of floor lie cool beneath my feet, relaxed
Bare-pressed against the freshness, another earthen promise
There that I can feel in my toes and in my soul, an ancient
Oath of health and strength and growth and purpose
I worship the silence of the herb cellar and cherish the magic
I succumb to the dizzy scents in the dusty air
And I breathe.

cailin raine

No comments:

Post a Comment