Tuesday, 21 June 2016

The "Bestest" Christmas


It would be the “bestest” Christmas if for just one Christmas Day
All the kids were coming home and overnight to stay
The big tree in the parlour would be decked in red and green
And little faces peering out from its bottom could be seen.

The big ones round a roaring fire could be heard telling stories
To the little ones who listened rapt to snowmen, elves, and fairies
We all could string popcorn on the big, old-fashioned tree
And the smaller ones would gather all the candy canes with glee.

I, dressed in my apron, would be stirring gravy brown
And friends would drop in briefly for a visit from the town
We’d serve them rum and eggnog and then go on the sleigh
And they’d leave us with a friendly wave on this special Christmas day.

The children wrapped in coats and scarves and mitts and mufflers too
Would never feel the cold as o’er the icy roads we flew
The horses both would stamp their feet to keep the cold at bay
And trundle back into the barn for corn, barley and sweet hay.

Then in the big house we would sit together for a prayer
And thank the Lord for all the festive food that we had there
For the wooden table would groan with the weight of the turkey platter
And tummies would be bursting when we’d all feel a little fatter.

Some would snooze then later as we sat with apple cider, still
And listen to the music with which the house would fill
We’d watch one little grand child sit to play a soft, sweet “Silent Night”
And I would sit content with all heads near and feel joy at the sight.

Oh, for just one such old-fashioned Christmas, my heart does burn and swell
And if I ever live to see the like of it, I’ll tell
The world about my story of the “bestest” Christmas yet
For dear hearts I ask you now, what better present could I get?

cailin raine

No comments:

Post a Comment